From Comment section in https://www.moonofalabama.org/2024/03/deterrence-by-savagery.html#more

The savagery is a losing card. By playing it the US and the West are undercutting every ideological, normative and institutional modality of legitimacy and influence. It is a sign that they couldn't even win militarily, as Hamas, Ansarallah and Hezbollah have won by surviving and waging strategies of denial and guerilla warfare. Israeli objectives have not been realized, and the US looks more isolated and extreme than ever. It won't be forgotten and there are now alternatives.

terça-feira, 4 de julho de 2017

SONG «SURABAYA JOHNNY» BRECHT / WEILL






A canção, aqui interpretada por Lotte Lenya, é uma das mais célebres do duo Brecht/Weill. As «songs» estavam inseridas em peças teatrais, pontuavam a acção em certos momentos ou eram parte de peça predominantemente musical, como a «Ópera dos Três Vinténs»
Pese embora a circunstância da sua criação, a de peças teatrais «políticas», assim como a forte influência da música popular da época (a canção de rua, o jazz, o blues, os musicais da Broadway...) estas canções têm algo de duradouro. 
São recriadas - geração após geração - por inúmeros interpretes, são traduzidas, imitadas e adaptadas das mais diversas maneiras. 

Uma das características destas canções é a sua letra fortemente ligada à fala popular. Outra, é a utilização de frases ditas, não cantadas (recitativo), interpoladas. A melodia é fácil de decorar e de cantar e o seu ritmo é vincado. Frequentemente, o acompanhamento revela ousadias harmónicas, mas discretas: ao analisarmos a partitura, percebemos que são composições da vanguarda dos anos 20. 


Ich war jung, Gott, erst sechzehn Jahre
Du kamest von Birma herauf
Und sagtest, ich solle mit dir gehen
Du kämest für alles auf.
Ich fragte nach deiner Stellung
Du sagtest, so wahr ich hier steh
Du hättest zu tun mit der Eisenbahn
Und nichts zu tun mit der See.
Du sagtest viel, Johnny
Kein Wort war wahr, Johnny
Du hast mich betrogen, Johnny, in der ersten Stund
Ich hasse dich so, Johnny
Wie du dastehst und grinst, Johnny
Nimm die Pfeife aus dem Maul, du Hund.


Surabaya-Johnny, warum bist du so roh?
Surabaya-Johnny, mein Gott, ich liebe dich so.
Surabaya-Johnny, warum bin ich nicht froh ?
Du hast kein Herz, Johnny, und ich liebe dich so.


Zuerst war es immer Sonntag
So lang, bis ich mitging mit dir
Aber schon nach zwei Wochen
War dir nicht nichts mehr recht an mir.
Hinauf und hinab durch den Pandschab
Den Fluß entlang bis zur See:
Ich sehe schon aus im Spiegel
Wie eine Vierzigjährige.
Du wolltest nicht Liebe, Johnny
Du wolltest Geld, Johnny
Ich aber sah, Johnny, nur auf deinen Mund.
Du verlangtest alles, Johnny
Ich gab dir mehr, Johnny
Nimm die Pfeife aus dem Maul, du Hund.



Surabaya-Johnny, warum bist du so roh ?
Surabaya-Johnny, mein Gott, ich liebe dich so. 
Surabaya-Johnny, warum bin ich nicht froh ?
Du hast kein Herz, Johnny, und ich liebe dich so. 

Ich hatte es nicht beachtet
Warum du den Namen hast
Aber an der ganzen langen Küste
Warst du ein bekannter Gast.
Eines morgens in einem Sixpencebett
Werd ich donnern hören die See
Und du gehst, ohne etwas zu sagen
Und dein Schiff liegt unten am Kai.
Du hast kein Herz, Johnny
Du bist ein Schuft, Johnny
Du gehst jetzt weg, Johnny, sag mir den Grund.
Ich liebe dich doch, Johnny
Wie am ersten Tag, Johnny
Nimm die Pfeife aus dem Maul, du Hund.


Surabaya-Johnny, warum bist du so roh ?
Surabaya-Johnny, mein Gott, ich liebe dich so. 
Surabaya-Johnny, warum bin ich nicht froh ?

Du hast kein Herz, Johnny, und ich liebe dich so.

I was young, I was just sixteen then
When you came up from Burma one day
And you told me to pack up my suitcase
And I did, and you took me away
I said, "Do you work nice and steady
Or do you go sailing and roving out to sea?"
And you said, "I have a job on the railroad
And baby, how swell it's all gonna be"
You said a lot, Johnny. It was all lies
You sure had me fooled, right from the start
I hate you when you laugh at me like that
Take that pipe out of your mouth, Johnny

Surabaya Johnny. Is it really the end?
Surabaya Johnny. Will the hurt ever mend?
Surabaya Johnny. Ooh, I burn at your touch
You got no heart, Johnny, but oh, I love you so much

Oh, at first you were kind and gentle
'Til I packed up and went off with you
And it lasted two weeks until one day
You laughed at me and hit me too
You dragged me all over the city
Up the river and down to the sea
Now I look at myself in the mirror
And some old woman looks back at me
You didn't want love, Johnny, you wanted money
I gave you all I had. You wanted more
Oh, don't look at me that way
I'm only trying to talk to you
Wipe that grin off your face, Johnny

Surabaya Johnny. Is it really the end?
Surabaya Johnny. Will the pain never mend?
Surabaya Johnny. How I burn at your touch
You got no heart, Johnny, but oh, I love you so much

When we met I forgot to ask you
Why they called you that funny name
But in every hotel on the seacoast
I found out, and I loved you all the same
I'm tired. I'm worn out
The sea's pounding in my ears
And I reach out my arms to hold you
You're not here and who even cares?
You got no heart, Johnny. You're just no good
You going now? Oh, tell me why
I love you after all, Johnny, like that very first day
Don't laugh at me no more, Johnny.

Surabaya Johnny. Is it really the end?
Surabaya Johnny. Will the hurt ever mend?
Surabaya Johnny. Oh, I burn at your touch
You got no heart, Johnny, but oh, I love you
I love you, I love you so much

Written by Bertolt Brecht, Eugen Berthold Brecht, Kurt Weill • Copyright © Warner/Chappell Music, Inc, Tratore

Sem comentários: